Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pulling the Plug!

The Manas' have decided to make a big change in our lives.....and I am a liitle nervous!  Effective this Friday, we will no longer have TV in our house.  Well, at least not cable television!  Or satellite TV!  This has been in the works for a few weeks but finally, today, I was able to put on my big girl panties and pull the plug, literally!

Some of you know us and we like shows.  Well, good shows.  Or at least what we consider good shows!  Not just your ABC, NBC, CBS shows but what I call the real shows:  United States of Tara, Dexter, Homeland, The Newsroom, Girls, True Blood...and the list goes on and on.  It has taken over our lives!  So, we pulled the plug.

We have decided to keep the internet (that is a must) and purchase a Roku Box, purchase a couple antenna's and see how long we can survive.  I will admit that I just said to Eric yesterday, should we AT LEAST buy the NFL ticket for football season?!  I mean what am I suppose to do while I eat my vegan chili on a cool Sunday afternoon...read a book :) ??!! 

I know we will survive and what I am hoping is that we spend the time talking more, laughing more, reading more, cooking together more and just being without that most insidious and American of distractions, T V.

Yes, by making this big change we will be saving about $150/month or $1800 per year and get to give a great big middle finger to those bastards at Comcast and Verizon.



3 comments:

  1. Are you at least going to catch up on True Blood first? What will have to discuss at work? :o)

    Barbie F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! We haven't had cable in a very long time. But we do pay $8.50 a month for netflix. It's completely worth it. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay meghan! We cut out cable awhile ago too. we also missed baseball and football but there is espn.com and you can usually find something online. (games) Of course your local games and friends with the nfl sunday ticket :) good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete